Do all fire alarm devices need need to be Verified?

Discussion of verification issues and procedures.
Frank

Do all fire alarm devices need need to be Verified?

Post by Frank » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:34

Hi,
Will be replacing CPU, all modules, power supply and batteries inside fire alarm panel due to water damage.
This is a 12 story building, with 150 units. When conducting V.I. do all devices for in suites and common area require testing, or can I test one device per circuit, per floor.

Thanks.

FIRETEK
Site Admin

Re: Do all devices need V.I

Post by FIRETEK » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:01

Your job falls under Section 6 of the Standard for Verification of Fire Alarm Systems. Clause 6.8 states:
"Where an existing fire alarm system control unit or transponder is replaced with a new control unit or transponder, it shall be verified in accordance with Subsection 4, Control Units and Transponders, and any existing devices shall be tested in accordance with Section 5.7 (Field Devices) of CAN/ULC-S536, Standard for Inspection and Testing of Fire Alarm Systems. (Refer also to Clause 6.11)"

Clause 6.11 states:
"Software modifications shall be tested by one of the following methods:
A Reverifying all system functions that could be affected by the modifications with the exception of wiring supervision; or
B A comparison of the 'before' and 'after' software utilizing mediums such as a printout or compare program."

I included Clause 6.11 even though your question clearly is answered by Clause 6.8 because of the reference to it. You will have to drop the end-of-lines. I'd suggest you document the voltage readings for each one on the remarks line of the Individual Device Test Record. This will ensure that the wiring hasn't been adversely affected between the common control and the last device in the circuit.

Do you have the panel manual? If not, email me and I'll see if I can send you the PDF. tech@firetechs.net
Frank Kurz
https://firetechs.net
+1 (888) 340-3473

Frank

Post by Frank » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:10

Hi,
Yes I do have the panel manual. Thank you for your help and knowledge.

FIRETEK
Site Admin

Post by FIRETEK » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:27

You're most welcome. Feel free to join our new LinkedIN forum. Your question is going to be posted as a FAQ on the Verification section, so thank YOU! :-)
Frank Kurz
https://firetechs.net
+1 (888) 340-3473