Regarding Fire Alarm Batteries

Open forum for questions from the general public (property managers, resident managers, strata owners, etc.) relating to fire prevention & fire protection issues. Advertising of services is prohibited.
Forum rules
Blatantly advertising your services is strictly prohibited. Violators will be banned from posting. Identification with a company engaged in providing fire equipment service is encouraged in order to validate responses (i.e. a "tag line" which states your name, company's name and contact information is allowed).
Zeus

Regarding Fire Alarm Batteries

Post by Zeus » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:43

Hello All,

I have a question about replacing fire alarm panel batteries and wanted to ask for your opinion. If for example, a panel takes 2 x 12V40Ah batteries and it is hard to find replacement batteries with the same amperage, would I be able to swap for 2 x 12V42 or 2 x 12V35Ah batteries? Or anything close to 40Ah?

FIRETEK
Site Admin

Re: Regarding Fire Alarm Batteries

Post by FIRETEK » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:42

The size of the batteries must never be less than the capacity you calculated in your testing. You're free to upsize or downsize them as long as you're able to confirm that you have the required supervisory and alarm times mandated by the Building Code. Don't forget you also need to add the de-rating factor specified by the manufacturer.
Frank Kurz
https://firetechs.net
+1 (888) 340-3473