Ion Smokes

Open forum for questions from the general public (property managers, resident managers, strata owners, etc.) relating to fire prevention & fire protection issues. Advertising of services is prohibited.
Forum rules
Blatantly advertising your services is strictly prohibited. Violators will be banned from posting. Identification with a company engaged in providing fire equipment service is encouraged in order to validate responses (i.e. a "tag line" which states your name, company's name and contact information is allowed).
ali_baby

Ion Smokes

Post by ali_baby » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:12

Hiya!!
I seem to remember somewhere in the codes and/or standards that ion smokes in a system need to be replaced after 10 years but I can't find it. Does anyone know where that would be or if I'm just being silly? It makes sense to replace them after a bit since the radioactive material will be depleted but my client wants the reference

FIRETEK
Site Admin

Re: Ion Smokes

Post by FIRETEK » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:11

The reference to replacing detectors every ten (10) years applies to unsupervised smoke ALARMS only. Supervised smoke detectors (whether ionization or photo-electric), are not mandated to be replaced. The half-life of Americium (the isotope used in most ionization detectors) is about 432.2 years.

You must test the sensitivity of supervised smoke detectors on an annual basis. If the detector involved is no longer being produced (or was manufactured more than twenty years ago), the likelihood of being able to source the appropriate tester is extremely remote. In this instance, I would recommend replacing the detector with a more modern unit (one that has a "self-test" feature like the System Sensor C2W). Please ensure that what you're installing is ULC cross-listed to the common control!
Frank Kurz
https://firetechs.net
+1 (888) 340-3473

ali_baby

Re: Ion Smokes

Post by ali_baby » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:00

Awesome. Thanks!!

Though I doubt there's anything cross listed with this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.